We all know at least someone who always seems to be cheerful and upbeat. These people can be all shapes and sizes, of any income level or occupation. So what is the secret of people who always seem to be happy? Parry Custom Homes, a premier Pittsburgh on your lot builder, shares how you can become one of these genuinely happy people too!
As it turns out, being happy doesn’t happen because you have a lot of money, a perfect body, perfect home or job. Becoming a happier person starts with making time for healthy, fulfilling feel-good activities.
Here are eight simple ways you can improve your mood and overall happiness in your life.
- Give thanks. No matter how big or how small, be sure to appreciate the good things in your life. Even during rough times, being thankful for the good things in your life can give you a happiness boost. Take moments to be thankful for a good co-worker, spend time with your pet, or even be thankful for a really good hair day! It may seem silly, but appreciating the small things adds up to an overall happier outlook. Be sure to make this a habit. Consider writing in a gratitude journal all of the things you are thankful for and is right in your world.
- Nurture Social Ties. It is hard to sometimes make time for our friends or family when we get so tied up in the day-to-day grind of life. It is important to take time to connect with at least one friend or loved one each day, to keep your connections strong. If you rely on texting and social media to stay in touch, remember that nothing beats face-to-face time.
- Talk nicer to yourself. Start to pay attention to your internal self-talk. Many people are surprised at how poorly they talk to themselves and would never talk to someone else the way the do to themselves. The next time you notice yourself partaking in negative self-talk, question and counteract that thought. Research shows that making positive shifts in your thinking actually changes your brain to think differently.
- Find joy in moving. Exercise is a proven way to get feel-good hormones moving in your body. It also helps relieve stress and anxiety. Find any activities that you enjoy, that keep you moving and do them frequently. Even 10-minute walks are proven to boost your mood.
- Create and play. Yes, even if you aren’t a kid you still need to make time for activities you enjoy. Whether it’s playing a board game, double Dutch with your kids, or playing games of air guitar, encouraging your silly side will bring you joy.
- Get enough rest. You hear it all the time, which you need to get more sleep. The reason being is that it is true! People are happier when they are well rested. Getting quality sleep also helps to reduce the risk for anxiety and depression. Aim for a good seven to nine hours of sleep, for better overall heath and happiness.
- Look on the bright side. The next time you are faced with a negative situation, look for the silver lining. By focusing on the brighter side of the problem, you will shift your focus and not get down in the negativity. Did you manage the situation okay? Did you learn something new? Focusing on the good instead of bad can make tough times more manageable.
Life is made up of choices. Find your own happiness by choosing what brings the most meaning to your life and there is no doubt you will end up as one of those happy people!
Parry Custom Homes is an established homebuilder in the Pittsburgh area. Call or contact us today for more information about this floor plan option, or to view other homes in our portfolio that may suit your new home needs.